Nov 06 , 2020
You wake up one day and look in the mirror only to see that your curls are turning grey. Don’t panic! While you cannot run away from your afro hair turning grey as you get older, you can eliminate the grey hair you do have and slow down its appearance. With essential oils like rosemary, your grey hair will be manageable.
But before working out a remedy for your greying hair, you have to know some of its causes first.
Grey Hair and Its Appearance
Having grey hair is natural. There comes a point when it just appears without even noticing it. While some women with afro hair may have them earlier in life, some get them later as they grow older. To some, having grey hair can affect your confidence.
Aside from your hair turning grey due to old age, it can be because of one or more of the following reasons:
- Nutrient and vitamin deficiency
- Gastric problem
You can get rid of grey hair naturally, but why using rosemary oil in particular?
Benefits of Rosemary Oil for Hair
Many women find that natural products such as essential oils work better for their curly strands rather than the highly processed hair care products.
Essential herbs offer a lot to the conditioning, treatment, and overall health of your tresses. They naturally solve any hair problem without causing extra issues.
Among the essential oils, the oil extracted from the rosemary herb is considered the best for grey hair, hair thinning, and other related problems. Many studies show the benefits of rosemary oil on afro hair.
How to Use Rosemary Oil for Grey hair
Other than giving your afro hair a healthy glow and nourishing your scalp, fresh rosemary sprigs and rosemary oil can be the solution to your greying curls.
- Prepare the tools and ingredients for the treatment. Rosemary oil, sage oil, thyme oil, shampoo, conditioner, a carrier oil, bowl or container, and water to rinse.
- Prepare the rosemary oil for the hair mixture. Pour an equal mixture of rosemary oil and sage oil into a conditioner or carrier oil. Make sure that both rosemary and sage essential oils have the same ratio of about 5 to 6 drops each.
- You can use fresh rosemary or chamomile tea as an alternative. Place 2 rosemary sprigs or chamomile (for blonde curls)/black tea (for black hair) in 2 cups of boiling water. Add 3 drops of rosemary oil and 3 drops of thyme oil then store in a bottle, jar or any container and let it cool.
- Apply and massage the oil mixture to your hair. Put enough of the oil mixture (drop by drop) into your palm and massage it into your hair and scalp. Apply the mixture in sections and massage hair and scalp gently. Let it sit for as long as possible.
- Shampoo and condition your hair.
- Rosemary hair rinse. You can use the already cooled and strained water of rosemary leaves and chamomile/black tea as a final rinse, then air-dry your hair.
Grey hair may not be a dreaded nightmare as it can now be eliminated. You can do this the natural way using rosemary oil. Rosemary oil also promotes hair growth as it helps boost healthy cells. It’s the best oil to use as a remedy to eliminate greying kinky coily strands.
Check out our Sta-Sof-Fro Rosemary Oil to help you on the road to getting colour back into your hair!